Admission to American College Arcus® is granted to students regardless of their sex, nationality, ethnicity, social class, or religion. American College Arcus® admits students who have successfully completed Grade 7 and whose GPA is not less than 4.50 (6.00 being the highest GPA). Prospective students are required to sit for an entrance examination, which assesses their overall educational development. The results of the entrance examination determine whether or not a student will be admitted to the College.
The school admits students in both specialized and professional training. Sixty students are admitted to the College in the specialized training majors: Languages and Software, Natural Sciences and Hardware Science. Their tuition fee is 1,600 EUR. The College binds itself to provide free tuition to 20% of the students who have been accepted to any of the majors mentioned above and have signed a tuition contract.
The ranking criterion for the quota of 20% free education in the specialized training majors is the highest GPA (in percent) from the three parts of the admission test (English, Bulgarian language and Literature and Math). The conditions laid down in Article 10, Paragraph 4 of the Educational Law are used in the ranking.
Students who are educated for free (the ones who form the 20% quota) can keep their status as long as they maintain a minimum GPA of 5.25 at the end of each school year. In the envent that their GPA is lower they exit the 20% quota and the right of free education is transferred to the student with the highest GPA.
Twenty students are admitted to the professional major Machine technician, dual learning. Their education is fully subsidized by Arcus Co. and Armaco JSC; the students do not pay a tuition fee for the first school year and the next four years if they maintain a minimum GPA of 3.50 at the end of each school year.
In the event that there are candidates who have successfully passed the admission exam and whose exams have received equal scores in percent, these students will be admitted and given priority over students on the waiting list.
In the event of vacancies American College Arcus allows admission to students who have passed the 7th grade external evaluation test and have an average of 4.50 in Bulgarian language and literature and Math. The tuition fee they pay is 2,100 EUR.
The Admission Exam consists of three parts which are organized in three consecutive days as follows:
Part One: English language – April 1, 2019 (Monday)
The test in English consists of four sections with a duration of 180 minutes:
- Section One: Listening comprehension – maximum score of 15 points;
- Section Two: Reading Comprehension – maximum score of 25 points;
- Section Three: Use of English – maximum score of 40 points;
- Section Four: Writing – maximum score of 20 points.
The total score of all sections is 100. The points achieved on the test are equal to the percentage.
Nota bene! The level of difficulty of the test is B1, in accordance with the requirements of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Part Two: Bulgarian language and literature – April 2, 2019 (Tuesday)
The test in Bulgarian language and literature consists of three sections with a duration of 80 minutes:
- Section One: reading comprehension with twenty-five multiple-choice questions, testing students’ functional literacy and their ability to implement linguistic rules in practice - maximum score of 25 points;
- Section Two: consists of 25 questions of the fixed-response and free-response types on all the items on the examination synopsis;
- Section Three: writing an opinion essay on a common issue. Duration of the section – 30 minutes. Maximum score of 25 points.
The total score of all sections is 75 points. The final result in percent is calculated by dividing the points obtained by the total number of 75.
Part Three: Mathematics – April 3, 2019 (Wednesday)
The admission exam in Math consists of two components with a total duration of 105 minutes:
- Section One: 25 math problems with multiple-choice answers. Each problem is given five possible answers, one of which is the correct one. The duration of this section is 75 minutes. The maximum score is 25 points.
- Section two: 3 math problems for complete solution. The problem solutions must be written in detail by the students. The duration of this section is 30 minutes. The maximum score is 30 points.
The total score of both sections is 55. The final result in percent is calculated by dividing the points obtained by the total number of 55.
Students from 7th grade can obtain more information on the contents of the Admission Exam and the evaluation criteria at our Preparatory Classes.
More information on the Exam will be given after February 7, 2019.
International students wishing to be admitted to American College Arcus® must contact the Director or the Deputy Director. All foreign students for whom English is a second language must sit for an English language examination, which will verify that their proficiency in the language is satisfactory for their program of study.
American College Arcus® may render foreign students exempt from the language examination if they have already passed the FCE, CAE or CPE. Upon enrollment, foreign students must submit all documents required by the Bulgarian Ministry of Science and Education, including a transcript of their grades.